We’ve been learning. We’ve been preparing. We’ve been waiting…to announce some big news. Well Beyond 5 advocates, the wait is over. It’s time to get serious about reducing under-5 mortality with clean water!
For the next five months, we’ll be getting our hands dirty and breaking a sweat with real, serious, effective advocacy, and we need YOU to reach the goal: clean water for everyone.
Starting this month we are gearing up to make the Water for the World Act a law! 768 million people do not have clean water, but we are not helpless. This is what we need you to do:
- We need 30,000 signatures [this action has expired]! Each signature equals three letters – one to your Representative and two to your Senators. When you sign, you tell your members of Congress that water, sanitation, and hygiene are important issues to you and you are asking for their support. Remember, they work for you!
- We are going to D.C. and we want you to join us! This Spring we will be hosting a two-day conference and lobby day. We will have inspirational speakers, exciting events, and visits to the Hill. Most of all, we will prove to you that your voice is more than just a drop in the bucket.
- Between now and then we will need all hands on deck!
- First, order postcards [this action has expired], collect signatures and return them to us by January 4.
- The week of January 21 you can deliver signatures to your Senators and Representative when they are district (often they have offices in your city!).
- On February 11 there will be a national call-in day. Ten calls to an office in a day are enough for your member of Congress to stop and pay attention to an issue.
- In February and March, you will have the chance to energize your community around the issues of water, sanitation, and hygiene by writing op-eds for your local paper (we are here to help and give you all the support you need!).
- Finally, this Spring we will need you to join us in D.C.!
This past August, the Water for the World Act was introduced in Congress. This is a bipartisan bill that will not require any additional money but has the potential to bring big change to the estimated 768 million people who live without access to clean water and the 2.5 billion without access to proper sanitation facilities.
This Water for the World Act (H.R. 2901) will:
- Help to direct funds for clean water, sanitation and hygiene to the countries and communities most in need, recognizing evidence that the biggest benefit comes from helping the people living in greatest poverty.
- Advance best practices in bringing clean water and sanitation to communities, including better monitoring and evaluation.
- Improve the United State’s approach to safe water, sanitation, and hygiene by building upon the current strategy and requiring transparency in how and why focus countries are selected, the results and challenges of each program and conducting regular reviews of progress.
How do you start?
Order your Water for the World Act postcards [this action has expired]. We will send them out in bundles of 50 for no charge. Pass them around to your friends, your church, and your coworkers. You can also request a personalized link to do the same through email, Facebook or Twitter. Each link or bundle of postcards will be personalized for you.